I feel horrible for being this stupid

I just did something the dumbest thing and I instantly regretted it and I think this is one that will keep me feeling stupid for years to come.

We were out with our friends, a couple and their 2 kids and we love them, just two families enjoying dinner and having a fun time catching up. Then a dish was served and it was octopus.

Then our friend mentioned that she hates it whenever she finds out that a food she loves to eat turns out to be an relatively intelligent animal. And I said that reminded me of a Jimmy O-Yang joke about how he hates eating free range chicken. He doesn't want to eat the happy chicken, he wants to eat the chicken that's going through a divorce.

And as soon as I said that, I remembered my wife had told me that these friends we're having dinner with also going through a divorce. They're wonderful people and I love them but in a moment of self-centredness, I forgot what was happening in their lives and I accidentally invented the worst thing I could have said and said it. 

And their kids were at the table too!

So, for the rest of the night, I just pretended I didn't know about the divorce and everyone pretended I hadn't said anything wrong, and the whole time, I just wanted the earth to open up and swallow me.

Why didn't I just say 'eat an unhappy chicken'? Why did I have to be so specific? Stupid comedy instincts! I was paraphrasing the bit and I don't remember how it went and I just thought it wouldn't be a punchline without specifics and at that moment, I just hastily associated unhappiness with divorce because that's what everybody does. I don't even feel that way about it. I think everyone who decides on getting a divorce will end up happier and I wish that for my friends. It's just I needed a punchline - so I grabbed the first thing that popped in my head. That's the stupid thing about punchlines - they don't have to be clever or true, they just need to be snappy and catchy.

I needed to write about this, if nothing else, to put on record that I am extremely sorry for what I did. I did not mean to hurt anyone, even though I am aware that I did. This definitely makes the top 3 stupidest things I have ever done in my life. Stupid stupid stupid!

Ahdhdkslwmebrbdnslskwns

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nobody told me doing nothing would be this hard!

15 minute set for HEHE15 show

Getting older