I Quit Comedy

I want to work on a project that I feel will be very meaningful to me.

It will be called "I Quit Comedy", and the whole idea is that I will quit doing comedy by the end of the year, but before I do, I will write down all my jokes into a book, so that whoever finds/buys the book can come and perform those jokes. By doing so, I foresee one of two outcomes - either I get the brain juices going again and I write my first hour and ride a new comedy ego-boost that will carry me on for a year or so before it runs out again, OR I don't write an hour and I find out I'm just not good enough to be a modern comedian, in which case, well at least there is a joke book, so all those years of open mics and bombing didn't amount to nothing.

I feel like if I am to "give" the jokes away in a joke book, it will force me to work on them a bit more. Pride and decency will not allow me to give away something that is half-completed. Off the top of my head right now, I can think of at least a handful of jokes that are "good enough" to perform right now but they are not the final version that I would like them to be. I have two jokes about handphones that really should go together but because I am lazy and unmotivated, they never did. It's time to write the final version of my jokes and the only way I'll ever be motivated to do that is if I give them away.

The sense of finality will give it some weight, which I feel is important, so it won't just fall by the wayside, as so many of my ideas have. Also, I like that it gives me a clear path of where to go next with my life. I've always felt that I am maybe good enough but then again maybe not. It's a wishy washy feeling that is both sickening and comforting and I can easily see myself being stuck in it for the rest of my life. That is no way to live.

It's time to face my demons. I Quit Comedy!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I stopped procrastinating and it wasn't so bad

Art is dead (in Malaysia)

Just remember the sun will explode.