Are storytellers memory hoarders?

I think I am a memoryhoarder. I have trouble letting go of memories because I have a fear that it might be an important part of a future story I want to tell that I haven't figured out how to tell yet. You might argue that, well, it's just a story. If you don't remember some of it, just make it up. The memoryhoarder does not like this. The memoryhoarder is greedy. The memoryhoarder wants the story to be entertaining and accurate. The memoryhoarder has an undocumented phobia that if memories are not preserved in great detail and accuracy, that the story would not be as genuine or as believable or as entertaining or ... as pure as it could have been. If all I'm leaving behind after I am gone is a bunch of stories, it would be nice if they were somewhat true.

Sometimes I wish the human brain worked like a computer and memories were like computer files. We could just keep the ones we need and delete the ones we don't. We'd be a lot less messed up. But we keep everything. Maybe we're all meant to be storytellers. We're all memoryhoarders.


I'm at a phase in my life that I don't like. I can't wait for it to be over. My self-preservation instincts says to just not stress myself out thinking about it. It's all beyond my control. Just wait for it to be over. The other part of me - the memoryhoarder - says I should pay attention to it, remember it, and write about it.

I can wait until it is all over and then write about it. But writing about the past, even if it is accurate, will be different from writing about it now. I would lose this perspective if I didn't write now. I wouldn't remember the fear and the stress. I probably wouldn't even care to write about it, if I'm being totally honest. It kind of has to be now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I stopped procrastinating and it wasn't so bad

Art is dead (in Malaysia)

Just remember the sun will explode.